- September 6th-9th – The Theater of the Big Bend is proud to present the 2nd Annual Pueblo Unido Latino Playwright Festival at Sul Ross State University. This four day event will feature nightly performances by both local and visiting authors. Readings will be performed in the Studio Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. The closing celebration and reception will be held in the Marshall Auditorium at 7:30 p.m.
- September 9th – Denise Chavez, an award-winning playwright and novelist, will present, “Familia! An Evening of Stories,” to guests in the Espino Conference Center at Sul Ross State University. This riveting collection celebrates culture, love and relationships and the way that the three intertwine. Chavez will take the stage at 7:30 p.m. and admission is free.
- September 9th – People Magazine has called Candy Kane, “A Blues Diva of the 20th century who can liven up any party!” Lucky for you, this soulful entertainer will be making some noise at the Railroad Blues on Friday night. The party starts at 10 p.m., with drink specials all night long.
- September 11th – Need a place to watch your favorite team throw the pigskin around? The Railroad Blues has you covered! The Railroad Blues will offer drink specials from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. and the TV’s will be tuned to the best of the NFL
This Week in Big Bend:
- September 8th – Ranger-guided programs are offered every week at Big Bend National Park. This Thursday, the park will feature an evening program titled, “Bear Country.” Bears freely roamed the Chisos Mountains until they disappeared in 1944. Lucky for them (and us too!), they have reappeared. This informative presentation starts at 8:30 p.m. in the Chisos Basin Amphitheater.
This Week in Marfa:
- September 9th – Start your weekend off with a bang and head to Padre’s Marfa to see James McMurtry, a true songwriting legend. This critically acclaimed artist has been called, “the truest, fiercest songwriter of his generation,” by Stephen King. McMurtry will bring his unique talent to the stage at 9 p.m. Tickets are available in advance.
- September 10th – Put extra air in your bicycle tires and hit the road for the 2nd Annual Marfa 100. Cycling enthusiasts will bike a total of 62 miles on Pinto Canyon Road in support of Marfa Public Radio and the Livestrong Foundation. The 2011 event will start and finish at the Thunderbird Hotel.
- September 10th – Located along the railroad tracks on South Highland, Farm Stand Marfa features locally grown produce, food to-go and arts and crafts every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
This Week in Terlingua:
- September 6th – Have you ever wanted to learn how to do the “Boot Scootin’ Boogie?” Now is your chance! The Terlingua Ranch Resort is offering beginner two-step classes every Tuesday in September. Class runs from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and both couples and singles are invited to participate. The cost is $20 for all four classes.
- September 8th – Head south to the Starlight Theater and Restaurant for Diego’s Ceviche Special! Patrons of the Starlight have declared that this is the ultimate meal in Terlingua. Wash it all down with an ice-cold Bahama Mama for dessert!
A Look at Next Week’s Events:
- September 17th – Marathon West Fest
- September 17th – Havilah at La Kiva in Terlingua
Photo by Janet Dancer