This Week in Alpine:
• February 14th – The Amazing Amigos will sponsor a Valentine’s Day party at St. James Episcopal Church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. This event is being held for people with disabilities and their families. Amazing Amigos events can be found at the new Gathering Place at 105 N. 7th Street.
• February 16th – Big Bend Regional Sierra Club will hold a meeting in room 309 of Lawrence Hall from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Attendees will view a video of “Amphibians and Reptiles” from the BBC series called “Life.”
• February 18th – Super Sully Saturday will be held for prospective students and their families. Registration starts at 8:45 a.m. and events will include campus tours, a luncheon, social events and an academic fair. Registration is $18 for the prospective students and $10 for all others.
• February 18th – Head out to the Big Bend Thrift Store on the corner of 5th Street and Avenue A for Alpine’s weekly Farmer’s Market. This quaint event features fresh veggies from local growers, baked goods and homemade crafts.
This Week in Big Bend:
• February 16th -18th – The Chihuahuan Desert Dirt Fest will take place this weekend in Big Bend. A 54-mile epic ride in Big Bend Ranch State Park will be the festival’s featured route on Feb. 18th. Each day of the Dirt Fest there will be guided trips led by staff from Desert Sports, members of the Big Bend Trails Alliance and Big Bend Ranch State Park rangers. For more information about the event, call Desert Sports at (888) 989-6900.
This Week Fort Davis:
• February 14th, 17th and 18th – The McDonald Observatory hosts Star Parties for visitors every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. These educational programs start at 6 p.m. and are considered a “can’t miss” attraction in West Texas!
This Week in Marfa:
• February 15th – The Marfa Chamber of Commerce will hold their monthly meeting at 6 p.m. at the Hotel Paisano. Members of the community are invited to attend.
• February 17th – Lonn Taylor will be at the Marfa Book Company on Friday night at 6:00 p.m. to sign copies of his new book, “Texas My Texas: Musings of a Rambling Boy.” A new edition of his book on Texas Furniture will be available too!
• February 18th – Located along the railroad tracks on South Highland, Farm Stand Marfa features locally grown produce, food to-go and arts and crafts every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
This Week in Terlingua:
• February 14th – Jobuk Johnson will entertain the patrons at the Starlight Theater and Restaurant with his smooth jazz sounds. Johnson refers to his unique mix of country and jazz guitar riffs as “Jackalope Jazz.” Take your valentine out and enjoy great music, food and company!
A Look at Next Week’s Events:
• February 21st – Cajun Creole Buffet at Padre’s Marfa
• February 24th-25th- The Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering