UPDATE: Stay tuned for extensive video of Open House weekend. Until then, Mercer Black (the Big Bend’s Dorothy Parker) gives her favorite parts of the weekend: “(1) small presses show at Marfa Book Company , (2) photo booth at lorna and adrina’s party (3) meeting clea duvall (4) spandex-clad performance artist (5) janie deguerin’s cooking sat night – a much-needed real meal (6) jo starnes’ interpretation of an 80s faux hawk on top of my head and (7) our newest, fuzziest black family member.”
–If you’re from out of town attending Chinati Open House, welcome to the Big Bend. This is a big weekend, and I am only glossing the surface. Pick up a copy of the Open House Guide by Marfa Publishing; it provides a great way of learning about events and locations (map included). Second to that, go by KRTS, buy an attractive t-shirt, become a supporting member and read the posters in their window. Also, Robert Halpern and the rest of the staff at the Big Bend Sentinel have done an excellent job of putting together an arts section. Pick up a newspaper, ya turkey!
If you’re totally new to town, here are the three most popular articles on Marfa in recent history:
- Randy Quaid arrested in Marfa
- Marfa Oscar Magic
- New York Times Article on Travel, Shopping in Marfa
A VIEW OF A STRANGE STORM THAT OCCURRED TWO DAYS AGO
–What’s going on (besides all the great Chinati stuff)?
- A show with my good friend Juliana Johnson at the Greasewood Gallery, Paisano Hotel Saturday evening.
- Todd Eberle at inde/jacobs.
- The Julie Speed show that takes place from 6-8:30 pm at Galleri Urbane.
- An open house with Romi at Tillie Arts.
- Before and After at Eugene Binder Gallery.
- An ongoing show at Marfa Ballroom (Two Face), and the catalog kick-off release Thursday.
- El Cosmico— trans-Pecos peace love and camping: “Amy Cook and Ben Kweller will rock for us on Friday night…and we have a special guest up our sleeve. On Saturday we are excited to present Hotel Brotherhood, Tift Merritt and the Heartless Bastards as scheduled. “
- Grande Premiere at Fancy Pony Land and Bedroom 7 to 10 PM saturday.
- Alex Schweder’s opening– go to the Chinati article for more information.
–I continually update this page, so stay tuned for video, photos and journalism concerning this week’s fun. Do you have a last minute party or event? or need a ride? Click here to read the comments or leave a comment on this weekend’s events.
—Bon Iver and Megafaun at the Goode-Crowley Theatre. For more videos of this show click here to see my YouTube acccount.