This Week in Alpine:
- September 13th – Straight from the United Kingdom, Viva City will bring its’ gritty beats and Euro-chic guitar riffs to the stage at the Railroad Blues. Special guest Eli James will also be on hand to make sure that the party is rocking all night long. The show starts at 9 p.m.
- September 15th-18th – Are you a budding photographer? If so, you can’t miss the Shooting West Texas Photography Symposium on the campus of Sul Ross State University. This four day affair will give lovers of the lens the opportunity to point and click in a photo contest. There will also be numerous presentations by noted photographers from around the state.
- September 16th – Don’t have any plans for the Mexican Independence Day? Well, you are in luck! The Railroad Blues will feature local favorite Los Pinche Gringos at 10 p.m. on Friday night.
- September 17th-18th – Head a little south of Alpine and check out West Fest 2011 in Marathon. This family-friendly festival will include a cabrito cook-off, washer pitching contest, team roping, children’s activities, delicious food and live music.
This Week in Big Bend:
- September 14th – Ranger-guided programs are offered every week at Big Bend National Park. Bird watching enthusiasts shouldn’t miss “The Best Bird?” on Wednesday morning at 8:30 a.m. Visitors will be led on a two hour bird watching adventure while a trained ranger offers tips on identifying some of the resident and migrant species found in the Big Bend. Meet at Rio Grande Village Amphitheater parking lot for this relaxing and informative event.
This Week in Marfa:
- September 15th – Explosions in the Sky will awaken the Marfa landscape with their powerful instrumental melodies. This hugely popular rock band utilizes three intense electric guitars and a penetrating drum kit. Twin Sister opens the show at Ballroom Marfa at 7 p.m.
- September 16th – Local music lovers are in for a treat at Padre’s Marfa on Saturday night! The Country Bucks, featuring Mark D of The Melvins, will perform with special guests Woodgrain and Havilah Rand. This electrifying show is the perfect marriage of psychedelic rock and Americana soul. The show starts at 8:00 p.m.
- September 17th – Located along the railroad tracks on South Highland, Farm Stand Marfa features locally grown produce, food to-go and arts and crafts every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
This Week in Terlingua:
- September 15th – The Starlight Theater and Restaurant will feature the poignant jams of Trevor Reichman at 7 p.m. This worldly artist mixes simple lyrics with a quirky deliver to create a unique and memorable performance.
- September 17th -19th – Check out singer-songwriter Havilah at La Kiva on Saturday night. This Folk/Americana artist’s soulful sounds have been compared to Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones and Nina Simone. Havilah will also play at the El Dorado Hotel on September 18th and the Starlight Theater on September 19th.
A Look at Next Week’s Events:
- September 23rd-25th – Trans-Pecos Festival of Music and Love at El Cosmico
- September 24th – Ray Wylie Hubbard at the Railroad Blues
Photo by neate photos