Visiting the Field Lab in Terlingua

by West Texas Weekly on April 2, 2009

John Wells runs the Field Lab in Terlingua, Texas. It’s an experiment in renewable energy and a sustainable lifestyle. The Field Lab demonstrates Terlingua living. It’s an amazing example of off the grid living. John discusses this:

John makes beer bread in his solar oven. It’s quite famous in the area– sometimes it’s spiked with bacon, cheese or onions.

John briefly explains his solar shower.

John Wells is a great addition to the ecology scene out here in West Texas. I highly recommend his blog. Check it out here. Also, John recently got some exposure in the TV show Texas Country Reporter. As soon as it goes to youtube, I will post it!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Yogie March 8, 2009 at 9:45 am

Yes I have my place on the traligia ranch
the A fram and the two vans live near shawn I seen you on TV cool like what you did and you got it right .

Evelina Hall June 7, 2009 at 10:14 am

I just saw country reporter and really enjoyed your segment.I will keep up with you by viewing your blogs.
Gig,em Aggies!

Juile August 9, 2009 at 8:37 am

John,

Hi, John,

I’m up here in Odessa, where it is normally desert-y, but just not this year: We’ve had enormous amounts of rain in the past 8 weeks, and out here in the county, I flood, which is extremely relevant to me — because the flood waters converge just east of me. ..

You know where I’m going with this: On septic out here where its flooded, the water-closet practice of plumbing is proving to be absolutely UNSUSTAINABLE. …

Which is why I write.

Have any quick and relatively easy things I could do to quickly WEAN myself from the failed w/c concept while moving me toward something more sustainable.

And can you hurry, please. I gotta go.

Thanks,
Juile

M & AOhl September 27, 2009 at 11:08 am

John We enjoyed your enthusiam for off the grid living. We’ll check your blog often. Rock HAHAH on. Mike and Amy.

nelson March 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Hello dear friends from argentine congratulations.

Louise Martinez April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

John it’s me Lou. We never decided if Iggy was coming over to have his picture done. Morning are best for him. He is less active.

Lou