This Week in Alpine:
• November 11th – The Annual Chamber of Commerce Texas Hold ‘em Roundup will be held from 6:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Winners will receive prizes and everyone is sure to have fun, so head out to the Alpine Country Club and try to catch your lucky card on the river!
• November 11th-12th – The Sul Ross Theater Department is still showing its’ first production of the season through November 13th. “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” is a comedy about six young people in the throes of puberty and their less than mature parents. The show starts at 8:15 at the Studio Theater on campus.
• November 12th – The Joys will be rocking the stage at the Railroad Blues this Saturday night. This Canadian band has won a slew of awards for their high energy performances and raw talent. The show starts at 10 p.m.
• November 12th – Head out to the Big Bend Thrift Store on the corner of 5th Street and Avenue A for Alpine’s weekly Farmer’s Market. This quaint event features fresh veggies from local growers, baked goods and homemade crafts.
This Week in Big Bend:
• November 11th-12th – Join Jimmy LaFave as he hosts a weekend of spirited music with some of the best singer-songwriters around. This two-day event will be held at the Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa, with performances by Sam Baker, Slaid Cleaves, Kevin Welch, Malcolm Holcombe, Gretchen Peters, John Fullbright, Will Kimbrough, and Ray Bonneville. Tickets should be purchased in advanced, so head here and get your pass before there gone!
This Week in Marfa:
• November 11th – Check out singer-songwriter Havilah at Padre’s Marfa on Friday night. This Folk/Americana artist’s soulful sounds have been compared to Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones and Nina Simone. The show starts at 9 p.m., so don’t be late!!
• November 12th – Located along the railroad tracks on South Highland, Farm Stand Marfa features locally grown produce, food to-go and arts and crafts every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
This Week in Terlingua:
• If you have ever been to the Terlingua Chili Cook-off then you know that the folks down there are still recovering! I don’t know of any events this week and I think the hospitable residents of Terlingua deserve a little “alone time.”
A Look at Next Week’s Events:
• November 18th-19th – Artwalk 2011 in Alpine