POATRI plans to let us have a vote on their Special Proxy Voting Bylaw Amendment – with the ballots going to us in August 2009 – so the Directors can have our decision on this issue before the October 2009 board meeting. If the special bylaw amendment passes, they will recomend a vote on the issue of selling all the Terlingua Ranch property in the January Member’s Meeting. They need to use proxy votes and the votes of those in attendance to have any real chance of obtaining a two thirds majority of all Members in Good Standing – for approval of the sale!
Proposed for sale is everything! They want to sell all property owned by POATRI – which includes the motel, the cafe, the RV Parks and campground, the swimming pool and bathhouse, the landing strip, the pistol range, the Maintenance Barn and the road maintenance equipment, the water wells, the livestock barns and corrals, and the Ranch Office! They are also proposing to go to contract road maintenance – performed by unnamed parties.
These are the most radical changes ever proposed by a POATRI Board of Directors and deserve your most careful attention! While I have many times suggested we needed to get out of the money loosing resort business, I have serious reservations about letting others do our important road maintenance function.
We need further information on the “contract road maintenance” – before we agree to sell our Maintenance Barn, the road maintenance equipment, and fire our trained labor force. Nothing like burning your old bridges – if you don’t know if the new bridge will bear your weight!
- Tell us about the past experience and references of the contract maintenance companies the Board of Directors has been talking to. Will this be a bid process or the same old good buddy deals of past years, or what?
- What are the cost estimates for contract road maintenance versus road maintenance done by POATRI? We have been maintaining our roads for almost 40 years now and should have excellent knowledge of exactly what annual costs have been experienced. Property owners do not have that information – because much of the current information is lumped together with administration costs – making the available information virtually worthless for road maintenance cost information.
- There is also the major problem that funding is not equitably shared by many property owners – especially the exempt property owners and the real estate dealers and large land owners who do not pay a fair share of maintenance fees. Will POATRI try to correct these problems by reforming our Maintenance Fees?
- We need to make exempt property owners pay for the road maintenance service – which they receive free of charge. The paying property owners do not owe the exempt property owners anything and it is past time to correct this injustice! We also need to make the real estate dealers and large landowners pay their fair share of road maintenance! The present fee system is broken – yet POATRI has not said one word about correcting this problem! A return to an acreage fee for all property is recommended.
- About the only proxy bylaw amendment that I would vote approval for – is an ammendment that would give all property owners proper proxy voting rights at all annual Member’s Meetings – with proper safeguards to prevent fraud and corruption. Changing the rule for a one shot POATRI dog and pony show is cronyism at best! We still need to obtain a property owner’s Bill of Rights and last time we tried to get one – POATRI stole our proxy voting rights!
Member of TRRP and OMTHC.