This Week in Alpine:
• March 7th-9th – The 2012 Geological Society of America South Central Annual Meeting will be held at Sul Ross State University this weekend. The meeting is being sponsored by The Earth & Physical Sciences Department & the Rio Grande Research Center.
• March 10th – The Railroad Blues will host the Jeff Strahan Band on Saturday night at 10 p.m. Strahan is a killer guitarist and his unique sound is worth heading to Alpine to check out!
• March 10th – Head out to the Big Bend Thrift Store on the corner of 5th Street and Avenue A for Alpine’s weekly Farmer’s Market. This quaint event features fresh veggies from local growers, baked goods and homemade crafts.
This Week in Big Bend:
• March 10th – Bird watching enthusiasts shouldn’t miss “Big Bend’s Birds” on Friday morning at 8:30 a.m. Visitors will be led on a two hour bird watching adventure while a trained ranger offers tips on identifying some of the resident and migrant species found in the Big Bend. Meet at the Rio Grande Village Amphitheater parking lot for this relaxing and informative event.
This Week Fort Davis:
• March 6th and 9th -10th – The McDonald Observatory hosts Star Parties for visitors every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. These educational programs start at 6 p.m. and are considered a “can’t miss” attraction in West Texas!
This Week in Marfa:
• March 9th – Marfa artist and photographer Daniel Chamberlin will present his new works in his “Ecstatic Camouflage” series in coordination with Tonalism, an all-night music and film festival sponsored by El Cosmico and dublab. The exhibition will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• March 10th – The Marfa Book Company will welcome Edwin Frank, a poet and editor of the New York Review of Books Classics Series, on Saturday. He will be reading from his works from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• March 10th -11th – Dublab has created some of the most electrifying music events in the country. El Cosmico will host TONALISM: an all-night ambient music party from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Camping. live music, DJs, video projections and tea will all be part of the agenda. Sun Araw and JD Emmanuel are among the performers for the night.
• March 10th – Located along the railroad tracks on South Highland, Farm Stand Marfa features locally grown produce, food to-go and arts and crafts every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
This Week in Terlingua:
• March 7th – The Starlight Theater and Restaurant is the perfect place to break up the monotony of the work week. The Whitmores will get you re-energized with a performance starting at 6 p.m.
• March 10th – Hank Woji & Mark Lewis will open up at the Starlight Theater for the King George Goss CD Release Party. Drive down to the desert and follow the music for a good time!
A Look at Next Week’s Events:
• March 12th -16th – Free Spring Break Art Classes for Area Students at the Chinati Foundation
• March 10th -17th – The Fort Davis National Historical Society Spring Break Week